EMERGE WISCONSIN SEEKS AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Founded in 2007, Emerge Wisconsin is the premier political leadership training organization for Democratic women in Wisconsin. Our mission is to recruit, train and inspire Democratic women to pursue public office at the local, state and national levels through our Signature Training program. Emerge Wisconsin levels the playing field by recruiting and training Democratic women who want to run for office, but who may feel they lack the necessary knowledge or connections to mount a successful campaign.
Emerge Wisconsin is an affiliate of Emerge, a national organization currently working in 27 states: Arizona, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
For more information about Emerge Wisconsin, please visit:
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented, self-disciplined and entrepreneurial individual to serve as the full time Executive Director. The Executive Director reports to Emerge’s national office and works with state advisors to achieve organizational goals. The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: fundraising and budget management, program implementation, class recruitment, and support for program members and alumnae.
The Executive Director will organize and facilitate Emerge Wisconsin’s flagship training program and is responsible for building and maintaining the organizational infrastructure. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Program & Communications
- Recruit and inspire Democratic women from diverse backgrounds to run for office;
- Execute our flagship 6-month campaign training, including managing training logistics, scheduling, recruiting and preparing trainers;
- Support and engage Emerge Wisconsin alumnae to further our mission;
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization;
- Manage all external communication for the organization;
- Represent the organization at coalition meetings and with partner organizations;
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders
Fundraising & Administration
- Manage day-to-day operations for the organization;
- Direct all fundraising efforts including: event management, donor solicitation, state advisory efforts, regular email solicitation, and mailings;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors;
- Administer the organization’s database
- Build and manage relationships with the state advisors and oversee all state advisors, including scheduling and preparing for state advisors meetings, participating in organizational recruitment, development and training and managing all state advisors committees;
- Develop a vision and strategic plan to advance the organization’s mission;
- Ensure that Emerge Wisconsin is actively participating with our national affiliate, Emerge;
- Identify opportunities to expand programmatic offerings to support the mission of Emerge Wisconsin
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
At Emerge, diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.
In addition, Emerge is seeking the following specific qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to democratic ideals;
- Proven fundraising skills and organizational skills;
- Passion for and knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political campaigns;
- Comfort with public speaking and excellent written and oral communications;
- Familiarity of working with state and county party politics and local institutions;
- Experience working on multiple political campaigns, preferably at least one at the Wisconsin State level and one at the county or municipal level
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional work experience with 3 of those years being in Wisconsin politics;
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse constituencies, including state advisors, staff, donors, elected officials, volunteers and an array of supporters and stakeholders;
- Effective organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities, attention to detail and efficiency in time management;
- Ability to work independently and self-motivate;
- Ability to oversee the strategic planning process, including the development of measurable goals and implementation of the strategic plan;
- Non-profit management experience in some of the following functions: state advisors, budgets, administrative functions, program development and fundraising.
- Fluency with Google and MS Office tools (Docs/Slides/Sheets and Word/PowerPoint/Excel), as well as Google Drive and other cloud-based document sharing tools such as box.com, dropbox.com, etc.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
The following is required of the candidate:
- Access to high speed internet and printer
- Safe, well maintained and fully insured automobile
- Cell phone with unlimited data
Preferred but not required:
- Familiarity with database tools, NGP VAN, etc.
JOB LOCATION AND SCHEDULE
- Remote location negotiable (Must be in Wisconsin)
- Extensive in-state travel and some out-of-state travel is required;
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
- Travel by air is required; and
- Flexible work hours, including weekends and evenings hours
- Due to the timing of the current election, start date is flexible
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary starts at $70,000 annually, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- Auto/Travel reimbursement/stipend
- Cell phone/internet/computer allowance/stipend
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter, writing sample, social media contact information, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Emerge Wisconsin Executive Director Application”. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.